How To and General Information
I’m starting this as a guide. Please add to it, and I will compile it from time to time.
FIND QUESTIONS: Go to the home page. Under “All Questions” you can choose to see questions by newest, by votes, or you can see those unanswered.
ASK A QUESTION: Click the blue button upper left. Use the drop down to select a category. Caps entries are sections with categories below each of those. Please do a search and add to a similar question if it exists.
ANSWER A QUESTION: At the bottom of a question and its answers is a text box labelled as “Your Answer”. This is the place to post an answer. You can also comment on other answers (if you have 30 points) which is a better place for discussion of a specific answer.
EDIT OR REMOVE: On your posts, there are buttons top right that allow you to edit (a pencil) or remove (trash can) your post.
POINTS: The site has a point system. You get points for asking or answering a question. You also get points if your question or answer is upvoted. The OP can select the best answer, which also awards points. If the OP later selects another answer as best, the previous best answer loses the points they got for being best.
If you have reached 500 points, you can downvote answers. Doing this cost both you and the writer 2 points. Downvotes are intended to make poor answers less visible, it’s not a way of disagreeing.
The point system helps to limit spam. Over time it will also move the best answers to the top, so others will see the best first.
SORTING ANSWERS: By default, answers are sorted by points. If you want to read answers in order, “Oldest” on the right side just below the question.
COMMENTS: Comments are the place to discuss an answer. You must have 30 points to comment, but you can always reply to comments made on your answers.
PMs: You access the PM system via the “PM’s” link in the top menu (it’s just left of your avatar). If you have new PMs you will be notified at the top of the page. All users have access to PMs.
Send PMs from the PM system. The contact link in a users profile sends them an email from your email address.
If you have a problem with PMs sent to you, you can block any user with the block button next to their username in the PM system. If you need to take a problem to an administrator, PM Dale or send an email to email@example.com .
REPORT A POST; There is a report button at the top right of a post ( a triangle with ! in it). Click that and give a short description of the problem.
PROFILE: To edit your profile, click the drop-down menu to the right of your avatar and username. Then click on “User Settings”.
Add instructions for how to send someone a PM. At the moment, it seems that you have to create it from the PMs page and add the person’s username from the directory button there. If you go to someone’s profile page, there is a Contact link, but it isn’t clear what that does. (Before the PM feature was added, that would create an email, but I don’t know if it even does that now. The Contact option should be removed. If it generates an email, then it should be clear that it will make your email address visible.)
@MarriageBed2020, I got your PM but I didn’t and don’t feel comfortable answering privately after this display… You seem very persistent in the area regarding mirrors in the bedroom. It’s not rocket science, just put a large mirror where you and your W will get a good view from wherever you choose. I just hope you are here for the right reasons. Any moderators, feel free to check my PM’s and any activity, this is actually quite disturbing and makes me hesitant to contribute.
I am still having a problem which has lasted over a year. I opened an account then began receiving answers on my shared e mail with my wife which I didn’t want. To try and solve this I opened another account using my g mail. It appears that I cannot delete the first account so I am in effect on twice. How do I cancel the first account?
I am new and have several questions.
- First of all the contact admin email (firstname.lastname@example.org) does not work. I’ve tried several times and it bombs out. And, if it ever worked no one has gotten back to me on my questions
2. The most annoying feature I am finding is that EVERY ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION even if not my own is recorded in the email that I’ve given. Is there a way to stop this? I do not mind following my own questions asked but to follow EVERY single question asked and every answer is a bit much for anyone
3. Finally, what is a unvote? What does it mean?
@GoldenGoose, let me give some answers until an admin can come along with more info.
1) The best way to get ahold of an admin is to just directly PM “Dale”. Private messaging is different than “contact via email” that you see on profiles
2) First, you don’t actually get notifications for “every” question and answer, just the threads you actually participated in. The the only thing we have figured to do is, “unfollow” each question you don’t want notifications on. Some have created junk emails, for the sole purpose to use to log in and to collect all these notifications without it bothering them.
3) Since I am on my phone I can’t double check where it says “unvote”. That could either be the downvoting or removing your previous upvote. Votes either give points (the ups) or take away points (the downs). The votes are to help bring up the helpful answers. But what people have the freedoms to do on here is determined by the point system.