Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

06/10/2021 - Do you have the same tastes in music?

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.

FIRST POST IN THREAD

intrepides96
Queen bed
Queen bed

06/10/2021 - Do you have the same tastes in music?

Post by intrepides96 »

Another one from Mrs. Intrepid:

Do you and your spouse share the same taste in music? While riding in the car for long distances, who decides what's playing on the radio?
Last edited by SeekingChange on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made sticky

END FIRST POST

oldiesradio
Single
Single

Re: 06/10/2021 - Do you have the same tastes in music?

Post by oldiesradio »

I'll answer for my fiancee as I'm about to remarry.

Our tastes are similar, but not exactly. She is a bit older than I am but my taste in music has always skewed a bit older than I actually am (I've always liked stuff from the 60's and I was just a tot back then). We both like the 70's stuff and frankly I enjoy a lot of 80's tunes that she really doesn't. She is a big fan of the group Chicago and I've always been ambivalent about them.

She is also a BIG fan of Christian Contemporary music (listens to K-LOVE for hours on end). At the risk of offending anyone on this board, I am really not. I have nothing against it, I just have never been able to get into it.
Happily married
California King
California King

Post by Happily married »

I would have to say yes to having a similar taste in music. No hard rock, heavy metal, rap, country. Yes to Contemporary Christian music, classical, big band, 50's-80's but again nothing too rocky. We like our music to sway to not give us whiplash.

We rarely listen to music while driving. We'd rather talk.
hastentheday
King bed
King bed

Post by hastentheday »

oldiesradio wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:10 pm She is also a BIG fan of Christian Contemporary music (listens to K-LOVE for hours on end). At the risk of offending anyone on this board, I am really not. I have nothing against it, I just have never been able to get into it.
Boy, I am quoting you a lot here @oldiesradio. I used to listen to K-LOVE some. The problem I have with it is the SAME songs over and over and over. Its gets old and I can only take so much. Most metropolitan areas that I have travelled to have Christian radio stations that are MUCH more varied in their music selection than K-LOVE. K-LOVE would do better to follow suit.
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
BroadSword
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by BroadSword »

For the most part, yes. We both like 80s Pop, Big Band, and movie scores. I love Country and Bluegrass which, for the most part, she can't stand. I also like Hard Rock/Heavy Metal which she also can't stand. She likes Contemporary Christian which I don't really care for unless it's heavier stuff by bands likes Skillet, Bride, Stryper, and early Kutless (they kind of lost me when they devolved into mainly Praise & Worship).

When we're in the car by ourselves we usually listen to something from the 80, one of our favorite movie scores or some episodes of an Old Time Radio show. She tends to leave her radio on K-Love which annoys me because they mostly play Praise & Worship and I really don't care for that. I keep my my radio on either the Country station or the local Talk station which she can't really stand.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

hastentheday wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:51 pm ....more varied in their music selection than K-LOVE. K-LOVE would do better to follow suit.
They have started mixing in some older favorites, which I have really appreciated and has made me prefer them over some other stations.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Graypoet
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Graypoet »

I would answer this yes. We both like music from the 60’s and 70’s, although my DW enjoys contemporary Christian music. I’m ok with that music, just not that big of a fan.
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 3 John 2
FaithSeeker48
Single
Single

Post by FaithSeeker48 »

We both like the same types of music. If anything, DH has actually broadened my taste for music. I use to only listen to contemporary because that was the only thing I could get living in middle of no where. We met shortly after I left home for college. He introduced me to all of the different genres of Christian music from Skillet to Lacrae (rap) and everything in between. It's also thanks to him that I love the old stuff too, DC talk, Petra and Stryper.....
I don't really like contemporary anymore, and that's because there is so much Christian music available in all the different styles now. There is even a group (social club misfits) now that does Christian reggaeton. Which I love! (It's originally from Puerto Rico, latin style of rap/hip hop)

Every once in a while I'll put our local contemporary station an listen for a bit, but then I hear them play a song that is "new" and it's actually over 6 months old. That's my main beef with CCM stations, old music, repetitive and they really don't play stuff from groups that would add a little bit more variety. Example: Skillet, Social Club Misfits and Lacrae.

By the way, if some of you are looking for a station that plays Christian Rock, rap, pop, and hip hop. Check out the HouseFM out of Oklahoma City. The music is awesome. I listen to them every day on iHeartRadio.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TxGuy
Double
Double

Post by TxGuy »

We are 5 1/2 years apart in age with me being older. I love 80’s music. She would always listen to country from the 90’s. Many years ago we I began listening to either Air 1 or KLOVE. She switched sometime after that and we both mostly listen to one or the other of those. On road trips o have an iPod, yes, you read that right. It has anything from 80’s to Christian, to country and R&B and more. There is no heavy metal or vulgar rap. We like it all.
Proudly married for 24 years. Through all the ups and downs we are blessed to be together.
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

We have overlapping tastes in music; we both like lots of the same music from the 70's and 80's, mostly classic rock. In the car, DW and I would alternate picking music but when the kids turned about 10 or so we started letting them play their music.
intrepides96 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 am
newwifenewlife wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 am Yep, we do. We get along fine with musical tastes in the car while traveling. Now should the windows be down or up with A/C on? That’s where the fight starts when traveling. Actually, I take that back, that fight happens whether we are in the car OR at home. :roll:
It's funny you mention that! DW said that she came up with this QOTD as kind of a follow-up to the "thermostat wars" thread! :lol:
At first when you 'said' A/C I was thinking you were asking if the windows should be open when you play AC/DC :D

In my marriage the thermostat wars also extend to the car. On a really hot day, or when the sun has been baking the car the interior is, of course, like an oven. I usually turn the AC all the way up AND keep the windows down in order to allow the (cooler) outside air to lower the temperature of all the surfaces. My DW insists that I roll up the windows to keep the cool air in the car. Argh!!! Pre-marriage counseling needs at least a whole session on temperature/thermostat issues!!!!!
Irnmyk
King bed
King bed

Post by Irnmyk »

@Olorin,

Oh, if we could but only teach those lovely lady spouses about basic heat transfer..... The very idea of trying to cool down an oven with a poor little A/C unit on a hot summer day...

But, not to be unfair to the ladies, I've seen some guys just as oblivious to the rules of good heat transfer.

To another point that you made, when we travel to together, it is 99% in her car, and it has dual temperature controls, so she can run her temperature what she wants, and me, mine. That's only been a recent feature in the newer cars. Of course, one has to survive decades of driving together in the old cars long enough to get to the point of this enjoyment.... ;)

Return to “Question of the Day”