Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

03/15/2021 - One Year of COVID-19

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.

FIRST POST IN THREAD

Link+Zelda

03/15/2021 - One Year of COVID-19

Post by Link+Zelda »

For many of us, this past week was the one-year mark from when COVID-19 upended our lives.

How has the pandemic affected the various areas of your life--work, church, social, family, mental health, physical health, etc? What have been some unexpected blessings? What have been some unexpected hardships? What is one major "normal" thing you're looking forward to once it's available again?

*Note: please, please, please, no politics on this thread, explicit or implied.
-Link+Zelda

END FIRST POST

MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Re: 03/15/2021 - One Year of COVID-19

Post by MrsNerd »

How has the pandemic affected the various areas of your life--work, church, social, family, mental health, physical health, etc?

Blessedly, overall for my own work not very much besides mental health (stress), but our home had struggles, and there was deep grief over the too many from our tiny congregation who passed away from Covid.

What have been some unexpected blessings?
Closeness with near and extended family.
More time with my children (for myself).
Also common ground with those in my community I don’t usually connect with at all because we do life differently. We are able to commiserate in unity.

What have been some unexpected hardships?
Unexpected in spite of Covid? Or unexpected at all?
Even though I’m grateful DH had work, his exhausting workload (due to the pandemic) was difficult for him and us. Plus his risk of contracting it at work was high and we had to make hard decisions there. In the end, when we got it he wasn’t the one who brought it home. 🤷‍♀️
In addition, without expounding, the pandemic’s politics have brought a high amount of stress, misery, and pain to my family. Does that break the rule, @Link? Hope not.

What is one major "normal" thing you're looking forward to once it's available again?
Ease of travel. And a better employment/workload situation for DH.
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

By far, the hardest part of COVID was being a caregiver for my dad, and my DW's parents since we could not have direct contact with them. Losing both of our fathers after minimal personal contact was devastating. Fortunately, during the warmer months we could visit with our parents during 'patio visits'. In spite of the lack of physical contact, we probably made seeing them (patio visits or looking at them through the windows) a priority, so we were both able to spend quality time with our fathers before they passed.

One blessing was having my oldest son get a job out of college in spite of the lock-down. He graduated in May, tried grad. school and found that he hated on-line classes, quit grad school in October, and by the end of December had a job. I consider it nothing less than a miracle, given how introverted he is and how anxious he was during the 'zoom' interviews.

Another blessing was spending more time with the DW; we have made good progress on improving our marriage bed and will continue this process post-pandemic.

I look forward to travel once DW and I are both vaccinated. Can't wait to get back to 'normal'.
hastentheday
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by hastentheday »

Link+Zelda wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:29 pm How has the pandemic affected the various areas of your life--work, church, social, family, mental health, physical health, etc?
    Not really. I am an essential worker and despite working from home for awhile, since July 7 I have been going into work every day. Church shut down per governor's orders until July 20 when we opened up for in person meetings and have been in person ever since.
      Immediate family has stayed healthy despite two of my children working in medical type vocations.
        I miss our small group bible study in person meetings. Fellowship not same on zoom.
        When I was working from home, my DW unfortunately was not. It did allow me to make some extra money doing some odd jobs that I do anyway. With the extra money, I was able to purchase two really high quality bikes for DW and I. And, time to work on some much delayed projects at home. I know for many people this last year has been hellish, but for me, I was able to experience what I feel things will be feel like in retirement. Another blessing was working out every day with DW and being able to make that a high priority.
        Wearing masks everywhere. Coaching with masks on.
        What is one major "normal" thing you're looking forward to once it's available again?
        Not wearing masks.
        Last edited by hastentheday on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
        2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
        Oldbear
        California King
        California King

Post by Oldbear »

We began social distancing when we cut short a three-week vacation on the Outer Banks, returning home on March 17 in 2020. We have not been to in-person church since that time; thankfully we have an excellent online option. We’ve Zoomed 100s of times; we serve on boards and I mentor men via FT. Our church small group and various small groups have met over Zoom. We also flexed on ministry fundraising raising events that we lead or play an integral role by moving them to virtual events. Thankfully, our fund raising goals have been met. We found that step-up during challenging times.

Fellowship is still excellent because of seeing one another in two dimensions. Yes, FtoF is far better, but we have found that the lemons of Covid-19 can be turned into lemonade!

We will both receive our 2nd Moderna shot a week from Friday and plan to attend our in-person Easter Service! Last week, I took my first flight in 11 months to a business meeting - it was a great step!
        Happily married
        King bed
        King bed

Post by Happily married »

How has the pandemic affected the various areas of your life--work, church, social, family, mental health, physical health, etc?
        Work and church are the same because I'm the pastor (haha). We started back to in person services in May and have been going strong ever since. It has increased some of the work load learning technology to provide a worship experience for those still electing to shelter at home. That's created some angst when the tech didn't work. The social and family gatherings have been more of a challenge. We have a daughter who continues to abide by the letter of the law in our state about family gatherings so has limited her family's gatherings although will travel out of state for vacation, attend church and participate in leading worship music with a group and teach a class for her home school group. I'm so over masks and social distancing. It bothers me that some folks in my church won't attend an in person church service but I will see their FB postings of going out to eat or going out of state for vacation. I better stop at that. I will add though, that it has affected health in that I have put on some extra pounds in the past year.

What have been some unexpected blessings? What have been some unexpected hardships? What is one major "normal" thing you're looking forward to once it's available again?
        One blessing has been our church family being more vocal about all the efforts we made to make in person worship happen and before that they expressed their appreciation for doing what we could to bring the church together digitally.
        One hardship was all the extra hours my wife had to work, nearly doubling the weekly hours of work.
        We are looking forward to regular date nights!
        SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I enjoyed not having so much to do and less obligations to fulfill. Once our church reopened its doors in July, we had a very basic Sunday mornings, but it was actually a fairly "normal" place to be and people received the love and fellowship they had been longing for. It was nice to feel the unity in a world so divided.

Mentally, it was exhausting but I see it being more of a spiritual warfare thing.

I am ready to get rid of the feeling like I am walking into a lion's den everytime I leave my house.
        God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
        Brynna
        Fell out of ...
        Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

Our church and school were affected last spring, with homeschooling in affect. The only reason I didn't like that was because it was so abnormal. The teachers did a fantastic job so we didn't feel we were suffering. All we did was supervise phone use, since that's how they did it. Back to school like normal in fall, which was a tremendous relief to us. Social life and church are not back to normal yet. But, we can tolerate a lot if the children can keep on working and going to school. My mental? Well, it's been a rotten year. Pandemic yes, but our child caused much grief, which I felt was a heavier load than the rest. Laying awake night after night with much anxiety, wondering and knowing what wickedness your child is up to and wishing you could go blow up that den of iniquity makes a pandemic pale in comparison.

An unexpected blessing was, that with all what we lived through with our daughter, we did not have to socialize or even go to church. We couldn't go travelling, which I don't like, nor have any company travel here. I simply could not have handled it. It felt like a huge blessing to me. Another unexpected blessing, shall we say, is covid swept through here, and no one suffered. Several months later I don't have my sense of smell back, which is a small price to pay, but at least the whole area around here, either had, or has been exposed.

The normal thing I am highly looking forward to are no masks. I have a minor handicap, which turns the whole mask thing into an anxiety causing issue for me, enough that I generally stay home if masks are involved.
        Stack
        Single
        Single

Post by Stack »

* Work from home. Much tougher. Especially since some coworkers are near impossible to get a hold of.
        * I'm still annoyed and saddened by how many in the church just "disappeared". I and a few others are trying to reach out, but some people just watch the news and are so filled with the fear that the news promotes that they don't want to do anything with anyone else - sometimes not even their own family!
        * Social life pretty much disappeared with the exception of a few friends that we refuse to stop getting together. It isn't a command per-say, but Acts 2:42 says "They continued in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread and in prayers." And for some of us we feel that is a strong enough guidance that we've continued to meet, share a meal, and pray as a group. We have no intention of stopping.
        * Family is in another state. We still visit them regardless. (Thank you Article IV! :lol: )
        * Mental health. I've struggled with depression for years. This last year hasn't helped at all. Though because I've struggled so much, I recognize it in others. And oooooohhh do I see it in a lot of people.
        * Physical health. I'm not nearly as active as I used to be.

Work from home means I get to see the kid grow. There were days when I left so early and got back so late that I never saw the kid outside of the crib. Now I get to see and interact every time I take a break. How many parents complain about not getting to see their children grow up? Well, I've been able to over the last year and it is absolutely an unexpected blessing.

I refuse to live in a spirit of fear. Unfortunately, that's what so many of the people I interact with choose to live in. What's worse is that most of them have a very narrow scope of information from limited sources that are flat out lying to them (the extremes of both sides lie equally, some just have more reach then others). Dealing with people who are constantly afraid is very draining. Trying to explain to someone that the information they have is a lie is difficult in person and all but impossible over digital. And a lot of these people living in terror (some I want to interact with, some I have to interact with) simply don't want to meet in person anymore even if they were open to having truth spoken to them.

2Tim 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and discipline.
        Rom 8:15 You did not receive a spirit that makes you slaves, so that you live in fear again; but you received the Spirit of adoption, by which we cry, “Abba, Father!”
        Hag 2:5 This is the covenant that I established with you when you came out of Egypt, and my Spirit remains with you. Do not fear!
        Ps 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?

There used to be a group of people that got together and played board and card games weekly. We would attend frequently and it was always a lot of fun (especially since we got to try new games without investing in them - they can be expensive!). Our church used to have regular meals - some as a congregation and some as small groups. We are trying to comply with all laws to do this again, but it's astonishing how many people want it yet how few people have said they would actually attend (again, spirit of fear that has settled over our news and nation).
        newwifenewlife
        Under the stars
        Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

It has brought both blessing and difficulty in our blending household. Issues that were below the surface have come to the forefront. It has created opportunities for DW & I to grow personally and in our relationship and has caused greater stress in our household with our kids, schooling, activities (or not), friends, social media, etc. We have been up and down physically...and mental & emotional health has been a rollercoaster all year for all of us. We have gone from full-blown meltdown or crisis mode from one person or situation for various family members (work, school, college, friends, etc) to another and the last six weeks has brought some of the greatest stressors yet in our marriage in dealing with one daughter and now the other. (Yes, we would really appreciate your prayers, even tonight for a "here's the reality & future" meeting.)

My job responsibilities and new learning changed every 1-2 wks for the first 6 months of the pandemic. I could never get settled into a routine before more changes and it created a crisis and near meltdown for me two months in that took the rest of the year to try and recover. I'm still trying to adjust and trickle charge my batteries because it is so easy to get close to the edge of meltdown.

Being home with the family & staying in bed with my wife on Sundays for over half the year between the two closures. Going back to one in-person service instead of multiples each weekend. The girls actually spending time with their dad after years of nothing.

Navigating the politics, name-calling, and the staunch opinions & unreasonableness of people and viewpoints.

No masks!!! Freedom of movement and activity without thinking about having a mask.

Return to “Question of the Day”