Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Parenting and maintaining sexual intimacy, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and more.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
intrepides96
Queen bed
Queen bed

Re: Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Post by intrepides96 »

I was there for my wife to support and be there for her. After we lost our daughter (with both pregnancies being high risk), I wanted to give DW as much support as possible...and in more ways than one!

With our son at one point, the doctor needed someone to grab DW's leg so DW had more leverage while pushing. So I was holding her right leg and pushing back against her with one arm and holding her hand with my other hand while she was pushing son out. I looked down there while his head was starting to come through,  cut the cord, saw the placenta come out, and everything.

Thankfully, one of the nurses we had worked with when we lost our daughter was there while she was off duty and was kind enough to grab my phone and get plenty of pics of our newborn son right after he came out as well as a video of his first few minutes.

Usually, things like that would make me squeamish (just the threat of possibly having my blood drawn will cause me to feel light headed), but I handled it quite well. I was there to support my wife and our new son in every way I could and could not wait to wrap my arms around both of them.

Happily married
California King
California King

Post by Happily married »

The doctor announced "you have a little man cub" (we waited for the surprise of gender). She promptly placed the baby on DW and went about the rest of her responsibilities while we oohed and ahhed this little wrinkled being who was now going to change our lives. Then the nurse came and ushered him off to another corner of the room to do all the clean up, etc. I don't even remember the placenta thing.
TinyTim
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by TinyTim »

My weird experience in the delivery was during our first birth the doctor handed me the dispose to cut the umbilical cord.

In all three cases I was with each baby from when it was delivered to get weighed, measured (I helped the nurse on all three), eyes cleaned out, a quick wipe down, and then back to my wife’s chest. But because all of this was done in the same room as the birth I was there during the afterbirth. The big thing that the nurse and doctor was concerned about getting the nursing started as soon as possible.
Tantalum
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Tantalum »

Nope, because both of our children were born at home. I know it's unusual but DW wanted it. She read a few books on home birth and we went for it.
We had a fantastic midwife who was superbly supportive. DW gave birth on all fours and I cut the umbilical chord. Then we just had a cuddle together. It was great.
one_woman_man
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by one_woman_man »

I attended each of our kids births. I remember the specialness of each and also how DW was eager to hold them. Little recollection of the placenta! I stayed with DW the whole time.
bandaddie
Double
Double

Post by bandaddie »

I have medic training and field experience. My children were not my first deliveries.
Third child: Clinic had critical personnel shortage.
Mommy "coded."
The new born was handed to me, more like thrown at me, while the physician was handling "code." I took care of the clamping, cutting, cleaning, wrapping and such and I got the heck out of the way.
Little girl and Daddy held hands and prayed....
I was scared;
Frankly, if there was a placenta, I was too busy and too scared to notice.
When the emergency was over, I had Mommy's hand in one hand and our daughter's hand in the other, with her wrapped up on my chest. A nun came to place baby into nursery. I refused to let go of her and, I am not ashamed, I started crying. Eventually, I gave baby first bath and first feeding and first nappie changing.
Irnmyk
King bed
King bed

Post by Irnmyk »

I was there for all of our children. We did the Lamaze thing, so I was the 'coach'. It was the only time that I ever got to threaten my DW with 'cold cocking' her and got away with it (for not breathing right).

I seem to have a vague memory on one of those occasions of hearing a nurse say "get him out of here!!!", but I did pretty well for most of them considering that I was wanting to high five @intrepides96 in his post a few posts back where he admitted to squeamishness. I, too, consider a blood draw at the lab major surgery.

Return to “Parenting Practice - babies & pre-school”