Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Parenting and maintaining sexual intimacy, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and more.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
MrMarried
King bed
King bed

Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Post by MrMarried »

This isn't about sex exactly, but rather about the results of it... childbirth.

For those men who accompanied their wives in the delivery room, did you experience this?  Right after the baby was born, the nurse or doctor takes the baby and puts him and her in the incubator, puts drops in the eyes, etc.  I'm over there with the baby, counting fingers and toes and talking to the baby, and my wife says something like, 'Can you come over here with me', wanting me to hold her hand while she pushes the placenta out.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but the new baby is a lot more exciting than holding her hand to push out the afterbirth.  I went back for her.

I'd imagine that scenario goes on in most deliver rooms where the father is present unless the wife doesn't care if her husband is there for the last bit of the ordeal with the placenta.

Btw, I saw a bit of a TV show where a woman drops into a neighbor's house and gives birth on the couch, and they just skipped over that placenta part.  They showed a clean two-month-old and she didn't have to give birth at all.  And he says to get hot water and towels.  If it were me, I'd go get a tarp or two to put on that sofa.
SeekingChange

Re: Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Post by SeekingChange »

That didn't happen in our birthing rooms, for any of the 4 births. I don't recall asking my husband for anything for myself during the delivery. And after the baby was born, I wanted him getting pictures.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Brynna
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

For all our babies' births, the doctor immediately laid the baby on my chest. So, DH was right there with me and I hardly noticed the passing of the placenta, other then them telling me to push.
addicted2her
Single
Single

Post by addicted2her »

At our hospital, they were pushing "skin on skin" contact for mother and baby, so our experience is very similar to yours.
MQ
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by MQ »

Female here (and have given birth a few times).
I just wanted to say that I would be more interested in the new baby, too - so don't feel bad. 😀

Best way is to have the baby straight onto the mother's chest, and both mother and father can be doting over the new baby while the placenta exits.
Link+Zelda

Post by Link+Zelda »

Agree with the ladies here so far...babies ended up on the chest first for all four of ours. I played support and took pictures.

Fun side note: I got the privilege of announcing the sex for all of ours (we chose to not find out sex beforehand).

-Scott
-Link+Zelda
Brynna
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

Reminds of the time the doctor held up our newly delivered baby and said 'boy or girl, dad?' to my DH. He was quiet for a long time before tentatively saying, 'is it a girl?' Lol I ribbed him about that for a long time.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

I agree with the ‘baby on the mother’s chest’ notion. It’s gained momentum as skin-to-skin has been proven to be so beneficial, also women’s health advocates are making waves. I’ve had some homebirths (intentionally)— the preparation, care, and planning is extensive. We had no casualties mess-wise. Even had my water break while in a car, but mitigated that easily.
My DH must be the exception to the rule as he cares about baby, but I remember him being very sensitive to be there for the afterbirth, without me asking him to be. 💜
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
luvabug99
King bed
King bed

Post by luvabug99 »

Our babies were born in the tub at a birthing center. I caught them both, and got to hold them first (for a moment) before DW did. Such special moments! Of course, she’d already carried them around for 9 months, so she still wins.
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

Times have changed!  I was with DW for about 3 hrs while she labored  but was not allowed in the delivery room for the actual birth of our oldest (who is 41 now)... they wheeled DW out with our son on her chest, tightly swaddled.  I gave them both a kiss and the nurse took the baby and I watched her wash him up through the window, while DW was taken to her room where she stayed the rest of the night and the day before being discharged late afternoon.  I was allowed in the delivery room for our 2nd (he's 39 now) but was told to stand up by her head and hold her hand.  So I saw our son born (kinda).... and watched the nurse wash him up in the delivery room while they attended to DW.  Ditto for our 3rd son except they tied DW's tubes after she delivered - I wasn't in there for that.   I knew what was happening but didn't witness the afterbirth in any of the three.  It was 3 different docs /hospitals in three different cities  (1979 thru 1983) but pretty much the SOP for all of them.

Return to “Parenting Practice - babies & pre-school”