Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Recommendations for counseling?

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Recommendations for counseling?

Post by MrsNerd »

I would like to seek marriage counseling (not specifically for tmb issues). DH has always been opposed due to concerns about his career etc. I was hoping to find online, hopefully anonymous-option counseling. Does this exist?
Thanks. 😊
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
SeekingChange

Re: Recommendations for counseling?

Post by SeekingChange »

Check out Marriage Helper and see if they have services that meet your needs.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

Yes, you can. That has been a major blessing with Covid happening because so many services went online. You can get counseling from ANYWHERE around the world so yes, you can do online stuff. Personally, we've been doing online stuff for the past year with stress & blending family issues because our counselor was pregnant and not seeing clients in person.

One issue to be aware of is that licensing may be different across state lines. For instance, a professional counselor in a different state may be able to see you but it is my understanding that he or she might have to be described as a "life coach" or something like that instead of their credentials/degree due to state licensing boards. Advice is the same, legalities in terms of service is all it is. Also, insurance issues by going across state lines might come into play if you were counting on insurance to help.

I can relate to the employment thing as I was in ministry and in a small town when seeking counseling for my first marriage. I approached a large church out of town that I was very familiar with and asked them if they had professional counseling on staff who could do something or if not, would would they recommend in my situation? I took one of their recommendations and we went to a person an hour away.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

Thank you. I do like the online option. Unfortunately, I’ve discovered that DH still will not attend with me even online. It was worth a try.
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
LBD
Blanket on a secluded beach!

Post by LBD »

MrsNerd wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 pm Thank you. I do like the online option. Unfortunately, I’ve discovered that DH still will not attend with me even online. It was worth a try.
What is causing his hesitation?
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
LBD

Post by LBD »

MrsNerd wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 pm Thank you. I do like the online option. Unfortunately, I’ve discovered that DH still will not attend with me even online. It was worth a try.
My DW has always been of the same mind as your DH. But I recently introduced her to some information from the How We Love site and her response caught me by surprise. It takes a slightly different approach to the normal self-help sites. It might be worth your time to check it out. The Marriage Helper site is a good one as well.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Blogs, Sites”