Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Morning-Wood Issues

Erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, delay...
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
RedsPastor
Single
Single

Re: Morning-Wood Issues

Post by RedsPastor »

MrMarried wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:16 am
If you are having erections for sex, I don't think you should worry about it. If that isn't working, I think the doctors test by having you put a roll of stamps on your penis to see if they break over night, or something that looks like that. If they still have rolls of 1 cent stamps, you might be able to do that yourself.
Funny, this is what my GP said. I am able to get and maintain and erection without problems. He did do a blood draw to check my T levels, just to eliminate that possibility, but he said that, as I am able to become erect "on demand" (his words), that he doesn't think that I have any problems. Interestingly enough, he said it's actually a misnomer that all healthy men should be waking with an erection. As there are a number of factors at play in me medically that I'm on meds for, he said the fact that I could get one was an indication that he believes things are fine.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. -- 1 Corinithians 15:10
RedsPastor
Single
Single

Post by RedsPastor »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. My levels came back at 451, which my GP said is "in the middle" of things and solid for my age and background. There, so you go! :lol:
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. -- 1 Corinithians 15:10
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

RedsPastor wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm Thanks to everyone for the feedback. My levels came back at 451, which my GP said is "in the middle" of things and solid for my age and background. There, so you go! :lol:
Wow, he considers that solid? Sounds low to me for your age. But if you're satisfied with it....
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Link+Zelda

Post by Link+Zelda »

SeekingChange wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:47 pm
RedsPastor wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm Thanks to everyone for the feedback. My levels came back at 451, which my GP said is "in the middle" of things and solid for my age and background. There, so you go! :lol:
Wow, he considers that solid? Sounds low to me for your age. But if you're satisfied with it....
Depending on the data source, the reference range for 19-39 yr old men is 264-916 ng/dL (source). Assuming this has a normal distribution and that's the 95% confidence interval, his value would go in as 0.85 standard deviations below the average...essentially 20th percentile.

While some may associate 20th percentile as pretty poor, it's still within one standard deviation of the mean, and by itself with no additional testing thus completely reasonable for the doctor to not be concerned. Essentially, if this number, by itself, is a problem, then at least 1/5 guys in that age range have that problem.

For comparison, if we're talking adult-male height in the US, this number is the equivalent of 5 ft, 6.6 inches tall.
-Link+Zelda
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

Do you take into account that it's insurance companies that set the numbers and that they are constantly changing that "normal" range? In the little bit of time we have been dealing with this (4-5 years), the range of normal has dropped fairly significantly. Just because something is "normal" definitely doesn't mean it's optimal for that person.

I/we are speaking from experience, not just a math equation. ;)
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
Link+Zelda

Post by Link+Zelda »

@SC, do you have a source to support the claim that insurance companies are the ones that set reference ranges? Everything I've ever encountered indicates that reference ranges are set by the lab running the test (or the manufacturer of said test) based upon the statistics (distribution) of fairly large sample sizes of patients. Reasons that the reference range might change could be a change in the assay or improved data on the sample population. That's one reason I mentioned the importance of source, as different assays will give slightly different results for a given metric.

Honestly, I cannot see an ethical doctor ever agreeing to use reference ranges dictated by an insurance company as opposed to what actual results have shown in large populations. Note that the numbers I posted have nothing to do with insurance companies as far as I can tell (maybe they funded the study?, though I don't see evidence for that).

One should be aware that one number, no matter the math or personal experience, should be used for a diagnosis in a vacuum. However, @SC saying "sounds low to me" is just as much a violation of that rule as me pointing out that it was a 20th percentile number from the distribution I looked up. It's very much possible that there's a problem that the one T number itself doesn't indicate. There's also the flip side to this--look around long enough and you'll eventually find someone willing to treat you for something you don't have (makes you question the "ethical" term I used above :!: )
-Link+Zelda
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I'm pretty sure I heard it from two different doctors, in two different practices, in two different states.
David
California King
California King

Post by David »

I wouldn't be surprised if the reference range has changed in recent years.
As Link points out, the reference range is a statistical picture of a population.
I would expect that lifestyle factors including rising rates of obesity would have an effect on the population distribution.
I would also expect that more people are being tested, meaning the data from which the reference range is derived is more robust.
Within one standard deviation of the mean means you're an entirely normal member of the population. However, it doesn't tell you anything about the health of the population.

Put simply, if the average man has low testosterone, and the numbers show that you're an average man then that means that you have low testosterone. The reference range can tell you one but not the other.
RedsPastor
Single
Single

Post by RedsPastor »

To put in an additional comment, and re-emphasize something, he asked me this question: "do you have a difficult time getting and maintaining an erection, either spontaneously (thinking of my DW) or when engaging in foreplay and love making?" (yes, his words) My response: "no." His response: "then, given that information, whether or not you wake up with a morning erection shouldn't concern you. It is a misnomer to say that all men should be waking up with them. Given your current health, medication, and occupation (by the way, he too is a Pastor..and an MD), and what you have stated about your marriage bed, you are fine. If you weren't able to get one or maintain one, i would be concerned. This is not the case."

Return to “Male Orgasm Difficulties/Erectile Dysfunction”