Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Postpartum bleeding after sex

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
frazzledmom
Cot
Cot

Postpartum bleeding after sex

Post by frazzledmom »

Glad to have found this site!  DH and I have a handful of children and going back to having normal sex after birth has usually been straightforward.  It may have hurt the first few times if we started too early or weren't careful, but that was easy to resolve.

This time we're 8 weeks out - 1st attempt just shy of 6 weeks - after my bleeding was gone for a good solid week because it kept coming and going - and I had some spotting for a day.  The next time we just avoided the actual "act" but apparently an orgasm made me bleed for 3-4 days.  This was at 6 weeks postpartum almost exactly.   Then I got mastitis (which is not exactly a "mood" enhancer, to put it mildly) and by the next time we could try we were... oh, about 7.5 weeks out.  I've been spotting ever since!   It's not heavy (just need a light pad/liner), but it's dark in color.

I told the midwife at my 6 week checkup, which was a tele-visit (thanks, Covid), and she thought it was likely an irritated cervix, but I should let them know if it becomes a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?  How long should I let this go on?  It's only been one more time since I brought it up with the midwife, I'm keeping a record of it in my fitbit app to try to find a pattern before getting in touch again.

Searching this on Google is not helpful because it addresses problems that come up early postpartum.  I highly doubt the placental site would be an issue this far out.  It was a normal pregnancy, vaginal delivery.
LuckyInLove
King bed
King bed

Re: Postpartum bleeding after sex

Post by LuckyInLove »

I think the rule generally seems to be to only be concerned if it’s bright red blood. I always had the dark blood last past six weeks. I would still feel better having a normal Internal postpartum check up, though.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Re: Postpartum bleeding after sex

Post by MrsNerd »

My bleeding was always on-again, off-again during that time. Being a fertile Myrtle breast-feeding notwithstanding, with my last I got a long menstrual period right about the time when lochia fizzled out. Doctor said she was sure it was just lochia starting up again, but to me it felt very much like a period. The cramping, swelling, etc. I have also had postcoital bleeding at times and have attributed it to a sensitive cervix due to hormonal fluctuations as no other explanation has been found(via u/s and scope).
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*

Return to “Pregnancy and Post-partum”