Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Nudity in entertainment

What is lust? What isn't? How can I guard myself...
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
lovefunlove
Cot
Cot

Re: Nudity in entertainment

Post by lovefunlove »

I appreciate the stance that John Piper takes. His point is that there is little difference between being flashed on screen and a sicko at the top of an escalator flashing a bunch of people. He also distinguishes between violence and nudity noting that violence is acted/pretend while nudity is not.

We look at the IMDB Parents Guide for almost every movie and will avoid those with nudity. Some such as Schindler:s List seem to us to be valuable enough to turn away/fast-forward, but those are rare. There is enough entertainment out there without nudity, so we choose to avoid it as much as possible.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

It is really interesting that I first answered this question yesterday. Our daughter has become fascinated by horror movies lately and we have been reluctantly watching a few things with her, choosing based pretty much solely on the type of story it is; that is whether I think I can tolerate it or if I will never be able to sleep again. We don't do gore at all, and I look for cheesy-ghost-hunters-find-more-than-they-bargained-for, imitation documentary types that I can mock for the stupidity of the supposed "experts". No real world psychopath stories (because psychopaths actually exist), no demon possession stories (because demons actually exist and I don't want to mess around with them), no stories involving children (just because), and no un-contained monsters (if it's a haunted place, I just don't have to go there).  It's tough to find movies that are scary enough to satisfy her that I can still deal with.

AFTER I posted my first answer to this last night, we were watching another one (I'll be so glad when this phase passes!) and suddenly there was a naked girl on screen!  (Well, she had clothes on, but all the pertinent bits were on display.) Hubby and I were a bit taken aback, not having expected any nudity in this (I think it was one of those independent, non-rated things) but it was obvious she was a ghost and was about to kill the guy who was gawping at her. So our reaction was to start cringing for the jump scare when she showed her true form and ate him. DD gave it about 30 seconds and said, "Nope! That's enough of that." And suddenly we were watching Parks and Recreation instead of a horror movie.

I'm not exactly sure how to feel about that, because if the nudity is what turns her off to this horror movie phase, I'm going to be really glad for it! But it does give me pause that we didn't  immediately turn it off, just because our teen daughter was watching. Then again, we let her watch Sixteen Candles and Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branaugh edition). We've always been a family who watches a wildly eclectic assortment of programming but we DISCUSS it all, too. We talk about testing the theories posited in stories against what we know to be true from the Bible to make sure we are not absorbing any bad theology. Our daughter has an abhorrence of cursing that we didn't even have to instill in her; she tells the kids at school off for cursing around her--AND THEY STOP! We marvel, in big action films, at the property damage and lost life incurred in the "fight for justice" or the attempt to save a few people. We empathize with victims and talk about whether we could make the choices that leaders do. I guess I end up thinking that yes, our daughter has probably been exposed to some things that would shock other parents, but she is growing up to have a dynamic, active, independent mind and the ability to think beyond what is spoon-fed to her in school. (Not that discussing televised media is the only way to develop that!)

In the end, I guess even with our daughter watching, I am still willing to "pick around" the nudity, even if I would really rather it not be there. (Though if it's in something I really don't want to watch anyway, I'm more than happy to turn it off!)
scoutwes
Double
Double

Post by scoutwes »

For those interested my DW and I use kids-in-mind.com to review movies. It's a great resource for checking out movies before watching them because they do an in depth review on them and tell you exactly what nudity is in the movie, how many times the F bomb is dropped, etc.
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

Thanks for sharing that!  Now the key will be to remember the website the next time I need it :)
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
humbled
Double
Double

Post by humbled »

Why would we leave out the sin issue? Why would you put sin in quotes? God's perspective always counts!
SongOfAngels
California King
California King

Post by SongOfAngels »

humbled, i think i did that to prepare myself for the possible onslaught of posts calling me a prude or defending nudity as art or that it's a matter of personal perspective or "one can look at a naked woman without lusting" so i left that out of the equation and just wanted to hear the personal opinions of wives and how it makes THEM feel.

I DO feel it's a sin to have nudity in movies or television but it's the world, that is what they're good at but i also know that in this day and age, there are plenty of Christians who will defend their right to view movies/television programs with nudity in it so i just didn't want to go there, i didn't even want to post it under "Lust" but i didn't know where else to post it.

Return to “Lust & Immodesty”