Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Will there be sex in Heaven?

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Re: Will there be sex in Heaven?

Post by Duchess »

Interesting thoughts Jpops. I, too, have wondered when Adam and Eve first had sex, whether pre- or post-fall. And yes, I have taught Sunday School; I cannot imagine trying to teach kids about it, lol! (BTW, "rabbits in line getting busy"--ROFLOL!!)

Rest assured, while I am trying to understand things that are beyond human comprehension, my faith and trust in God are not dependent on the success of my efforts. It's just more fun than a crossword puzzle for exercising the brain. ;)

Thanks also to all the others who have commented while I was taking forever to type out this reply--TV and typing don't mix! It's been a fun thing to consider.
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven" https://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Alcorn-Randy-ebook/dp/B000FCKCJC  addresses many of the questions raised here soundly, I believe,  from a Biblical perspective.  In it, he is careful to distinguish  what the Bible says clearly from what he believes it infers concerning some of the questions that it is not so clear about.   It's been  at least 6 years  since I read it but  IIRC,  he believes much as Jpops and GeorgeB state above... a clearly different but even more intimate communion not only with our Creator but with those of our Earthly family in His covenant family.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to dig deeper into the subject now but maybe in the next few days...

GeorgeB
King bed
King bed

Post by GeorgeB »

Alcorn's exploration on the topic has indeed been helpful to me. At some level, all we can do is speculate, since Scripture gives us much veiled metaphor and even what was glimpsed by a human observer was difficult if not impossible for him to describe. Yet, we can certainly strongly infer certain things from what we do know is clearly promised, and that is where Alcorn and Lewis and others derive their speculations.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

Thanks, I may check that out sometime. I did a quick internet search of the same question just to see what popped up and the first two articles I found each gave very well-reasoned, scripturally supported arguments for opposite opinions. (After that I didn't bother looking any further!) This is not actually a burning question for me, since the simple fact of being in the Presence of God will be ecstasy enough that nothing else will matter; it was just one of those things I had never wondered about before but with spending time on this board, it popped into my head.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

@GeorgeB--about the veiled metaphor:  I recall one commentator making a parallel between one of the creatures in Revelation and how John might have described a helicopter if he had seen one. He would have no frame of reference for a high-tech electronic flying machine so would have tried to make it some sort of animal...and we would not recognize it at all!
GeorgeB
King bed
King bed

Post by GeorgeB »

to add to this speculative discussion, I quote from C.S. Lewis' chapter 16 of Miracles, titled Miracles of the New Creation:

"One point must be touched on because, though I kept silence, it would none the less be present in most readers’ minds. The letter and spirit of scripture, and of all Christianity, forbid us to suppose that life in the New Creation will be a sexual life; and this reduces our imagination to the withering alternative either of bodies which are hardly recognizable as human bodies at all or else of a perpetual fast. As regards the fast, I think our present outlook might be like that of a small boy who, on being told that the sexual act was the highest bodily pleasure should immediately ask whether you ate chocolates at the same time. On receiving the answer ‘No,’ he might regard absence of chocolates as the chief characteristic of sexuality. In vain would you tell him that the reason why lovers in their carnal raptures don’t bother about chocolates is that they have something better to think of. The boy knows chocolate: he does not know the positive thing that excludes it. We are in the same position. We know the sexual life; we do not know, except in glimpses, the other thing which, in Heaven, will leave no room for it. Hence where fullness awaits us we anticipate fasting. In denying that sexual life, as we now understand it, makes any part of the final beatitude, it is not of course necessary to suppose that the distinction of sexes will disappear. What is no longer needed for biological purposes may be expected to survive for splendor. Sexuality is the instrument both of virginity and of conjugal virtue; neither men nor women will be asked to throw away weapons they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them. ‘Trans-sexual’ would be a better word than ‘sexless’ for the heavenly life.”

Note: I like the idea of my sexual "weapons" that I used as a conqueror during life (walking in purity, staying faithful to my wife, giving great pleasure to my wife in our marriage bed, etc.) being retained and celebrated for splendor. I also find Lewis' use of the word "trans-sexual" rather than "sexless" interesting here, and would love to see it reclaimed from its present fallen usage in our modern world.

Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

The first part of that quotation actually appeared in one of the two articles I mentioned above, and it is a very good argument from a very wise and learned man.
GeorgeB
King bed
King bed

Post by GeorgeB »

agreed. I really appreciate the Godly and Scripture-informed imagination that Alcorn and Lewis apply to this topic.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

I intended to let the subject drop, but I ran across another article, by a Peter Kreeft, of whom I've never heard, however his words had the ring of truth. It was a very interesting and well-reasoned discussion with somewhat surprising conclusions. I tend to think he might be on to something, although to paraphrase what Corey Matthews said of Mr. Feeny, "Sometimes I can't hold my breath long enough to get down to where [Mr. Kreeft] likes to swim.

https://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/sex-in-heaven.htm

Redman
Double
Double

Post by Redman »

Interesting.  I certainly like this article.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”