Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

David and Bathsheba

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Re: David and Bathsheba

Post by DoveGrey »

I love your description of that view. How beautiful it must be to stand in a place that is so ancient, with such a rich history that is so culturally significant to people of our faith. And how humbling to realize that we absolutely share in the humanity of David, with our risks of temptation. None of us is immune without God's help.
Wife of 21 years
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

Well said DoveGrey; thank you for sharing the perspective you gained from your travels with us. It helps to be able to picture history in a real setting.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

I was just thinking about how much of the story is left un-told. Think about the letters people like to send with Christmas cards. We got one today that told the story of a year in the life of some friends, and yet I know for a fact there was a ton of story behind the story that doesn't get included in a written record. Even something as simple as sharing about your day: I might say "I hung curtains in my living room today, and it was troublesome because I was afraid the rod wasn't long enough." But that doesn't tell the whole story about how I made a to-do list this morning and then wandered in circles because I couldn't decide how to approach it or what to do first. How many times I just sighed and sat down on the couch because I felt helpless to un-hurricane the place. (Never do a major re-decorating project a month before Christmas!) You'd never know that I didn't actually hang the curtains until just before DH got home and the rest of the "day" was a frustrating waste of time.

My point, from which I may have strayed a bit, since it's way past bedtime (by reason of another whole story you have no idea about, even if I say I was making something and it took longer than I thought and DH is asleep in the recliner) is that David could have been trying not to notice her for months before the recorded stroll on his balcony. He could have had such a fascination with her that she is why he stayed home from war. (Not defending him; he was absolutely wrong to no do what he was supposed to.) But also, think of all the poetry he wrote and the music; he was clearly an artistic soul, so that even if he did turn bloodthirsty sometimes, I dare say he felt a desperate need to pull back from battle every now and then, just because it was ugly and he was designed to appreciate beauty. We don't know, because it's not recorded, but it might be so. I often think the Bible is purposely vague so that we are more likely to see ourselves in it. For example, it never mentions what Paul's thorn was, so no matter what is a thorn in our own side, we can imagine that it might have been shared by Paul and take heart.

Sorry if I'm a little incoherent. I'll sleep and try again later. ;)
Rich1983
Single
Single

Post by Rich1983 »

David bears full responsibility in my understanding.  He would have known Bathsheba and so was false when he asked who she was, it was downhill after that.
peachrings
Double
Double

Post by peachrings »

REALLY GOOD podcast on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4rF63gN8fw

I love how she points out that Bathsheba is only named once in this story.  Otherwise she's referred to as 'her' or 'Uriah's wife.' David, by how he treats her, dehumanizes her.  She is righteously following the law by purifying herself and he is supposed to be off with the troops but is giving into his lusts instead.

It's from a podcast called Knowing Faith that is from some of the smartest Bible teachers I know.  Written by people who are in the trenches every day teaching at their churches.  The podcast aims to teach theology to regular people by drawing them deeper.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”