Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

What's the mystery?

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
SeekingChange

What's the mystery?

Post by SeekingChange »

Ephesians 5:31-32 says, "31 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church."

What do you believe is the mystery in reference to Christ and the church? How does "the two become one flesh" transfer to Christ and the church?  Is the mystery beyond the "one flesh" reference?

God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
SeekingChange

Re: What's the mystery?

Post by SeekingChange »

@Tracker, I would love to hear your guesses.

The problem with "mysteries" we are all somewhat in "guessing" mode.

I just had the thought about the "one flesh" being about how Christ is IN us, and we are IN Him.... I am not sure if that's way off or somewhat close.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
MoreBlessed
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by MoreBlessed »

I believe the mystery is that God has taken Jew and Gentile and made them one in the church. Eph 3:2-6
Th church unites two into one and marriage is a reflection of that same concept.
sd595
King bed
King bed

Post by sd595 »

Is the mystery that Jesus and His Bride the church will also be joined, perhaps at the rapture?  Will we who are His be taken by Him?  Just in our human experience, we are one with our husband and wife in one way, yet still separate in others, perhaps the same will be true with Jesus and the church.

I remember some scripture (I think) where Jesus seats those who are His on one side, and those who are not His on the other, but I can't remember/find where this is.  Perhaps someone knows here?
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

You may be thinking of this:  Jesus separates the sheep (the saved)  and the goats (the unsaved) in Matthew 2532

https://www.biblestudy.org/question/jesus-separating-sheep-goats.html
sd595
King bed
King bed

Post by sd595 »

Yes, thank you JLoydH, I believe that is it.
Oldbear
California King
California King

Post by Oldbear »

Don’t you just love a mystery! 😊

It’s a mystery how Mrs. Oldbear and I continue to be woven together as one, year after year.

It’s a mystery how the Holy Spirit comforts me and His presence means more to me, day by day.

one_woman_man
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by one_woman_man »

For me it is the mystery of how two flesh can become one. Initially human flesh was one. Then when God made Eve out of Adam it became more than one. From then on all humans were born from women. Yet, when two marry, they become one. How can what was once one but became more than one become one again? That is the mystery.

Similarly, how can what was made by God but became separated from God become one with God again? Only in Christ. Yes, Christ in us and us in Him.

What gets more intimate and connected than PIV? It is a literal joining together of two into one.

What gets more (spiritually) intimate and connected than being united by God's Spirit in Christ? It is the coming together into one of God's Spirit and our spirit. Two into one. That too is a mystery!

One way to picture this is to imagine inhaling the same air as someone else by breathing  in what they have exhaled. And that person inhaling your air. It is the mixing of the same air in each others lungs (perhaps gross for some of us, but it is only an illustration. Maybe another mystery! ;) )  The breath of God that was breathed in us at creation is now our breath/spirit and is mixed into one when God re-breathes (re-births) His breath/Spirit into us at conversion when we become one with Him in Christ!
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

That's beautiful!
one_woman_man
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by one_woman_man »

Thanks! Sometimes I feel inspired by God. And He gives me a degree of understanding.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”