Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

What's the mystery?

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
olafthewise
King bed
King bed

Re: What's the mystery?

Post by olafthewise »

there are two ways to look at a mystery; those we can solve and those we cannot solve. Has anyone figured out the trinity concept? No you haven't neither have I. It is a mystery that remains unsolvable by our feeble, sinful minds. if the marriage mystery goes the same way, we have an unsolvable mystery again. Many truths, but unsolvable.

I'm thinking it has to do with the marriage of the Lamb as someone above suggested.
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

Here's how one commentary identifies the mystery referenced in Eph 5:31-32. (partial)

(Christ) himself is a great and unfathomable mystery:

Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. (ESV, 1 Timothy 3:16)

To add to this mystery of Christ that somehow every believer is united into a single body in his flesh, is indeed a very great mystery that no man can either fully know or explain. That believers are literally in some mystical sense united to the person of Christ and thus died and risen in him to new life is central to Pauline theology (Col 2:6-15, Eph 3).

https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/questions/5857/what-is-the-profound-mystery-paul-was-speaking-of-regarding-jesus-in-ephesians

It is amazing that we are united to the person of Christ and to every other believer the moment that we repent and receive Him in faith... for ETERNITY and that we will sit in judgement of Satan and his fallen angels (who have done all they can to discourage us, distract/tempt us from service to Christ,  swell our pride, and to doubt our faith in this life)  one day (1 Corinthian 6:3)

LuckyInLove
King bed
King bed

Post by LuckyInLove »

I think it circles back to Genesis. Man and woman are reunited in marriage after becoming separate when God created Eve from Adam. The mystery is Christ and the church now revealed. God designed marriage in the beginning to reflect that picture of the gospel. It was His plan all along. We were separated by sin but Jesus made us whole again.

Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

Well, if you look at the whole chapter, it is all one basic instruction:  imitate God in your behavior, followed up with detailed instructions on how to do so in practical ways. Some of those practical ways are supported with quotations from earlier scriptures, like in v. 13-14 where he is talking about bringing things into the light. Similarly, when he has given instruction on how husbands and wives should behave with each other, he points out that the scripture from Genesis about becoming one flesh--which has probably seemed so very mysterious to people all these years is a metaphor for Christ and the church. We can trust Christ to nourish and cherish us and not hate us because we are his body. Since Christ has left his earthly body and returned to his existence as a spiritual being, and we know that by accepting his salvation and inviting him to live in us he in fact inhabits our body, we are very literally, each one of us, Christ's body (think of any of those movies where someone gets put in some other body; the actor plays the character of the person switched into the body, not the one who originally had the body) and the Church as a whole is Christ's body in the same way those robot lions that used to be popular cartoons in the 80s--Voltron--were individuals, but when they came together as a whole they were greater than the sum of their parts. (No I don't get my theology from cartoons, but sometimes fiction can help tell a truth because it comes from inside the person who wrote it and what they know deep down.)

Also note the "for this reason" at the beginning of this passage. The "this reason" it refers to is found in verses 28, 29, and 30 which immediately precede it. Paul's sentence construction leaves a LOT to be desired, so you have to remember to chase down those sentence fragments!

I read recently (in a fiction book) the reminder that we are not bodies who have souls, but souls who have bodies. If you remember that the essence of our being is the soul, and the "flesh" is just a suit, the one-flesh seems to me a lot more straightforward. It's just like having 2 sleeping bags and instead of using them separately, you are zipping them together. The church, as the body of Christ, just does that on a larger scale.

Return to “The Theology of Sex”