Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Dove reference in Song of Solomon

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Dove reference in Song of Solomon

Post by MrsNerd »

I’ve always felt like this is referring to a clitoris. Just speculation, of course, but it fits, I think. :)
What do you think?
Bible:
Song of Solomon 2:14
O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the crannies of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Re: Dove reference in Song of Solomon

Post by DoveGrey »

It seems to, on first glance. But reading the chapter, it's before the wedding and between a repeated verse, "I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem... that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." (2:7 and 3:5). So if 2:14 is referring to the clitoris, is he tempting her to stir up love at the wrong time?

And then, how do we interpret 2:16, "he grazes among the lilies"? If that's sexual, what's the context for that?

I'm so new to interpretation of the Song, and I find this all fascinating.
Wife of 21 years
69greyshades
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by 69greyshades »

I have never paid attention to those verses. But I would agree with you that it seems to refer to the clitoris.
If that would be the case, it suggests that this is a very important part in women's bodies and anatomy that needs to receive good attention, care and love.
Our making love stats: http://bit.ly/37yHxCu
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

DoveGray wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 pm It seems to, on first glance. But reading the chapter, it's before the wedding and between a repeated verse, "I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem... that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." (2:7 and 3:5). So if 2:14 is referring to the clitoris, is he tempting her to stir up love at the wrong time?

And then, how do we interpret 2:16, "he grazes among the lilies"? If that's sexual, what's the context for that?

I'm so new to interpretation of the Song, and I find this all fascinating.
It’s my understanding that they are already married in this chapter(hence the bride and bridegroom labels), and they are partaking in marital love. They are admonishing everyone else to not partake until marriage.
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I never would have gotten that from there, but I never would have gotten any of the hidden references that people supposedly interpret it to mean :lol: . I. Am. NOT. a poetry person. Give me literal, please. :D
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

MrsNerd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:41 am It’s my understanding that they are already married in this chapter(hence the bride and bridegroom labels), and they are partaking in marital love. They are admonishing everyone else to not partake until marriage.
From what I'm reading, it's widelyaccepted that the wedding starts with the procession in 3:6. 4:12 indicates that she is still a virgin. Everything before 3:6 seems to be premarital longing, with the twin admonitions at 3:5 and 2:7 to wait for the proper time. So 2:14 could still be the clitoris. They're wanting sex so badly that they're having the sexual conversations that are now driving them crazy.
Wife of 21 years
SeekingChange

Post by SeekingChange »

I hesitate to say anything because I haven't gone back to study the exact details, but @Dovegray, I do know from my Passion Pursuit study that SOS is not in chronological order, it bounces around in the time of the relationship, which can add to the confusion of understanding it.

If this isn't applicable to this particular situation, it may help someone else in their reading and understanding of SOS. :)
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, to find comfort, to survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years... and then she did something new.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

Well stink, I posted a reply but it didn’t come through. :-)
It appears the same embrace in 2:6 and 8:3, and the study I was in referenced that these are when they are having sex.
Admittedly, this is from a study I participated in 20 years ago... :lol:
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
FLLYDVTD1
Double
Double

Post by FLLYDVTD1 »

I’m with Seekingchange on this one. I’m way too literal to see the things ya’ll are getting out of those scriptures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLS
King bed
King bed

Post by SLS »

FLLYDVTD1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am I’m with Seekingchange on this one. I’m way too literal to see the things ya’ll are getting out of those scriptures.
The thing is that if we lived during the time SoS was written we probably wouldn't have any trouble recognizing the sexual nature of the language. People back then probably knew exactly what body parts and sexual acts were being referred to.

Shakespeare is another good example of this. There are a lot of sexual innuendos in those plays but because 400 years have gone by and language has changed a modern person may have trouble recognizing them.

In short, based on the research I have seen, the language of SoS was a lot less "veiled" to people walking around 3000 years ago.
Happily married to Serafina for 6.75 years. She is my Venus. ::luv2

Return to “The Theology of Sex”