Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Dove reference in Song of Solomon

How does God fit into our sex lives?
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Re: Dove reference in Song of Solomon

Post by Duchess »

SLS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm The thing is that if we lived during the time SoS was written we probably wouldn't have any trouble recognizing the sexual nature of the language. People back then probably knew exactly what body parts and sexual acts were being referred to.

Shakespeare is another good example of this. There are a lot of sexual innuendos in those plays but because 400 years have gone by and language has changed a modern person may have trouble recognizing them.

In short, based on the research I have seen, the language of SoS was a lot less "veiled" to people walking around 3000 years ago.
This is so encouraging to me! I've never red SoS much because, as much as I love playing with words, I could seldom make heads or tails of it! Poetic prose=I'm good; poetry=I'm completely lost! But, I've been blessed to see a fair bit of Shakespeare performed in the original language, but in such a way that makes the meaning clear. So if I could perform the same...extrapolation... of SoS that my favorite Shakespeare company does with the Bard, I could maybe make some sense of it, at least the surface story.
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

Duchess wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:07 am I've been blessed to see a fair bit of Shakespeare performed in the original language, but in such a way that makes the meaning clear. So if I could perform the same...extrapolation... of SoS that my favorite Shakespeare company does with the Bard, I could maybe make some sense of it, at least the surface story.
Totally agree. Shakespeare was meant to be performed, not read.

We probably shouldn't go see SoS in a performance, though! I'm blushing just reading it! (I know that's not what you meant. It's just that the visual that popped into my head was eyebrow-raising to say the least!) ::rofl
Wife of 21 years
Duchess
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by Duchess »

DoveGray wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:29 am We probably shouldn't go see SoS in a performance, though! I'm blushing just reading it!
Too true! Although, I think since it has been so hard for me to really grasp SoS, I'm not sure I have really gotten to the point of blushing when I read it. Though to be fair, it has been a long while since I read it, so maybe I just don't remember.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

I definitely blush when reading it now, although when I was younger the symbolism was lost on me with the exception of the mention of “breasts” :lol: .
But I suppose I also “enjoy” the same symbolism/innuendo in music. Now that I’m married I feel I can enjoy it a little more freely(sans kids tho) because I frame it within my own marriage relationship.

I like using music/lyrics to describe what I’m feeling.
DH messaged me an old song this week that had to do with burning for me, as that reflected his mood then. Love it. But I sent him a song that had to do with loving being together, and I find that it was about an affair. Oops, must double-check before sending sometimes. :lol:
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

Post by newwifenewlife »

MrsNerd wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:24 am ... when I was younger the symbolism was lost on me with the exception of the mention of “breasts” :lol: .
My favorite books of the Bible growing up, SoS and Proverbs 'cause they mention breasts! :o :lol:
MrsNerd wrote: I like using music/lyrics to describe what I’m feeling. DH messaged me an old song this week that had to do with burning for me, as that reflected his mood then. Love it. But I sent him a song that had to do with loving being together, and I find that it was about an affair. Oops, must double-check before sending sometimes. :lol:
I do the same with DW, creating "mix CD's" on occasion. (Yes, I'll still burn them for her car.)
WirelessRouter
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by WirelessRouter »

Doves were associated with love in several local religious groups around the time SoS was written, so the expression "my dove" is likely another way to say something like "my love" or "woman I love." The dove also has an ability to nest in hidden, inaccessible locations, so sorry to maybe rain on some of y'alls' parades, but combined with the man's plea to "let me see every part of you" this passage is almost certainly not a specific biological/sexual reference, but rather a husband's request that his wife stop hiding her beautiful self from his eyes.
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

WirelessRouter wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:03 pm Doves were associated with love in several local religious groups around the time SoS was written, so the expression "my dove" is likely another way to say something like "my love" or "woman I love." The dove also has an ability to nest in hidden, inaccessible locations, so sorry to maybe rain on some of y'alls' parades, but combined with the man's plea to "let me see every part of you" this passage is almost certainly not a specific biological/sexual reference, but rather a husband's request that his wife stop hiding her beautiful self from his eyes.
This could be the case. :] There is certainly a lot of symbolism throughout this book. Later on, he again calls her his dove and asks her to open to him. We’ll have to disagree on this one.
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*
69greyshades
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by 69greyshades »

For those with the word 'Dove' in their nicknames, this post gives a new whole meaning to your nichname. :D
Our making love stats: http://bit.ly/37yHxCu
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

69greyshades wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:57 am For those with the word 'Dove' in their nicknames, this post gives a new whole meaning to your nichname. :D
Quiet, you! :lol: But yes, this whole thread is giving me pause. My name references a book character whom I've admired since my teen years. The color is significant. But now I think that RosyDove might be better. ;)
Wife of 21 years
MrsNerd
King bed
King bed

Post by MrsNerd »

DoveGray wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 am
69greyshades wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:57 am For those with the word 'Dove' in their nicknames, this post gives a new whole meaning to your nichname. :D
Quiet, you! :lol: But yes, this whole thread is giving me pause. My name references a book character whom I've admired since my teen years. The color is significant. But now I think that RosyDove might be better. ;)
:lol: :lol:
*~אני לדודי ודודי לי~*

Return to “The Theology of Sex”