Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Parenting and maintaining sexual intimacy, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and more.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
Olorin
California King
California King

Re: Men, did you do this in the delivery room?

Post by Olorin »

Two of our  babies went on my DW's chest after birth. My oldest son went to NICU because his temp was a bit low, and I was asked by my DW to go with him. He was perfectly fine; the NICU doctors didn't think his temp was actually that abnormal.

This may be for a different question, but how many DH's were at the end with all the action? I am very medically squeamish so I avoided seeing the actual births. I was also offered the chance to cut my the umbilical cord when my daughter was born, but passed. (Not 'passed out', but I was close!)
Brynna
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

My DH's siblings thought he would never last in the delivery room, since he is very squeamish about any blood and injury. He was there with me for every baby, start to finish. I asked him if it didn't bother him. He said 'no, because it's natural!' An injury isn't.
Deleted User 1388

Post by Deleted User 1388 »

You're kidding, right?  I have fainted before from a finger prick.  I was not about to cause another emergency.  So, I was there throughout labor but all the nurses knew that I would have to leave close to the actual birth.  And, the placenta part, there was no way!!  My experience was similar to @JLoydH where I went somewhere else with the baby while they weighed the baby, took blood from the heel, cleaned the baby, etc.  I do think it is ridiculous how soon they make mothers depart from the hospital.  I can guarantee that if it were men giving birth, the norm would be increased to four or five days of a normal delivery.  We should take better care of the mothers!!  Off my soap box for the day....

TinyTim
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by TinyTim »

We were in the hospital for 48 hours after the birth that was becoming the norm for all insurances and was put into code. My wife said that was more than enough time because most of the other follow up could be done from home and with the weekly visits with the doctor.

Now many women I know do not even go to the hospital and do home births with midwives - no doctor and hospital unless there is a medical issue or there were complications in previous births.

However in this day of COVID most are being sent home within 24 hours with bed rest for another 24. Keep health people home to save room space for sick people. My sister in law just experienced that this summer with the birth of her 3rd.
Deleted User 1388

Post by Deleted User 1388 »

Sorry, but I don't agree.  Think about what has just happened.  This is major, this is an incredible feat of women everywhere.  I'd like to see them cared for, waited on, get some sleep before they are thrown into what awaits them at home.
Brynna
Fell out of ...
Fell out of ...

Post by Brynna »

I'm sure I'm not the only mom who rests better at home. I don't sleep well in the hospital and I prefer to have full care of my own baby. The only reason I would have for staying in hospital is that almost all our babies have had a bad choking spell on mucus from birth. Bad enough that a couple started turning blue and the nurse had to call for help. That happened at 24 to 48 hrs of age, so that is the reason I never talked them into letting me go home sooner. One time is too much, when you stand there, helplessly watching them work on your precious baby. And wondering what would have happened had you signed yourself out and were at home an hour from the hospital. For myself, I would have liked to get up from the delivery bed and go home immediately.
LBD
On the floor
On the floor

Post by LBD »

Not really. I was there for the whole show but I stayed on the non-business end of the curtain. I did peep around it once, but just for a split second after quickly realizing my intuition was correct - there are some things I am fine with not seeing. I witnessed many births up close and personal, even assisted in a couple on the farm, but I would much rather not have that image forever burned into my brain when it is connected to my wife. That's just me. IF you relish it and it bonds you closer, good for you! My favorite memory is hearing my first's little NAAHHH, NAAHHH cries. I can still hear them like it was yesterday.  I did cut both cords. My wife's deliveries were very easy overall. I guess my training in bovine physiology and anatomy, knowing what "calving ease" meant was good, as I chose a heifer with some natural birthing width between her hook and pins.  :-) no chains needed!

(don't worry - it's a mutual joke. in fact she was the first one to use it)

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance. -Thomas Sowell
::dog
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

LOL!
shortman
Double
Double

Post by shortman »

Three of our offspring were born in hospital, the second was born at home by the mother's choice.  I was present for all four deliveries and was the only attendant and cord cutter for number two,

I don't recall mom asking for anything from me just after the birth.  The placenta deliveries just happened in all of the excitement of the new birth and I don't recall anything special about them.

What I do recall after the home birth was after delivering the child and the placenta, she was hungry and I was sent to the kitchen to bring back 4 scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.  She also wanted a phone so she could start calling her relatives and friends.
JLoydH
King bed
King bed

Post by JLoydH »

DW was exhausted after birthing all 3 of our boys but when they brought her to her room she sent me out to find her a big dish of Hagaen-Dazs rum-raisin ice cream after our 3rd...  I was glad to finally be useful for something!

Return to “Parenting Practice - babies & pre-school”